On April 14 I was due for a Prolia shot. This is administered every six months at Northwestern Hospital for osteoporosis. It cannot be delayed or I could break more bones, as happened once before. (See www.JoansBackboneDisaster.com)
Because I'd gotten rid of my car, I often take cabs, and today at 9:00 a.m. I asked the doorman in my building to get me a cab for my 9:30 a.m. appointment.
Usually a cab arrives within minutes for this ten minute ride to Northwestern. So 30 minutes should have been plenty of time.
But no cab appeared, so at 9:10 I started walking as fast as I could with my back in pain from the vertebral fractures.
By the time I'd walked about half a mile down Michigan Avenue to Oak Street, I was exhausted and hurting, but noticed a cab pulled over by the curb.
The masked driver said he was off duty and I'd have to give him cash but he'd take me, so I gave him $10 for a $5 ride. He was happy and so was I.
By the time I'd walked about half a mile down Michigan Avenue to Oak Street, I was exhausted and hurting, but noticed a cab pulled over by the curb.
The masked driver said he was off duty and I'd have to give him cash but he'd take me, so I gave him $10 for a $5 ride. He was happy and so was I.
Once at the St. Clair entrance of the Galter Building (the usual entrance) all the doors were locked.
I walked all the way around to the other side of a long block to the Feinberg Building on Fairbanks, and explained to the masked "COVID-19" guard at the door that I was not visiting anyone in the hospital (usually no problem but now it would not have been permitted) but was keeping an appointment in the Galter Building.
The guard sent me to a nearby desk for an ID tag and I walked through several lobbies to Galter, where they let me get on an elevator.
I walked all the way around to the other side of a long block to the Feinberg Building on Fairbanks, and explained to the masked "COVID-19" guard at the door that I was not visiting anyone in the hospital (usually no problem but now it would not have been permitted) but was keeping an appointment in the Galter Building.
The guard sent me to a nearby desk for an ID tag and I walked through several lobbies to Galter, where they let me get on an elevator.
When I got to the 14th floor waiting room to check in, there were only two or three people -- all masked -- where there are usually 50 or more!
I was given a real mask (much nicer than the homemade cowboy scarf mask I was wearing) and was called within five minutes.
A nurse gave me the Prolia shot with no further delay, and I returned to the usually full cab stand on St. Clair.
But now there were no cabs. I could not get back into the building without walking all the way back around the long block to that only unlocked back door. All of this, even with a cane, was definitely activating the pain associated with the vertebral fractures.
After about half an hour when I was beginning to despair when an Uber pulled over. The masked driver took me home and I just gave him $20, about twice what an Uber would normally charge. He was happy and so was I.
I was given a real mask (much nicer than the homemade cowboy scarf mask I was wearing) and was called within five minutes.
A nurse gave me the Prolia shot with no further delay, and I returned to the usually full cab stand on St. Clair.
But now there were no cabs. I could not get back into the building without walking all the way back around the long block to that only unlocked back door. All of this, even with a cane, was definitely activating the pain associated with the vertebral fractures.
After about half an hour when I was beginning to despair when an Uber pulled over. The masked driver took me home and I just gave him $20, about twice what an Uber would normally charge. He was happy and so was I.
I keep reminding myself that I am no longer paying for the lease on my car or for the garage in my building or for parking anywhere else. So why not share with these good souls who are out on the street getting people where they need to go.
My guess is that the next trip — to the Loop to get the Eylea shot in my eye -- may be much the same.
This was the first time I’d been out of the building in many weeks (except to walk around the block occasionally)
////////////////////////////////////